Many homeowners often ask us whether air duct cleaning is necessary, and/or how often it should be done.
Though there are varying opinions out there, we have spent many years researching and working to repair, replace and rebuild air duct systems. We believe our veteran experience with air ducts allows us to weigh-in with some expert advice.
There are situations where an occasional duct cleaning is necessary, but if installed and maintained correctly, your ducts should stay clean and function properly.
The EPA states that, “Duct cleaning has never been shown to actually prevent health problems. Neither do studies conclusively demonstrate that particle (e.g., dust) levels in homes increase because of dirty air ducts.”
There are many sources of indoor pollutants, including pets, smoking, cleaning and cooking. The EPA also states, “There is no evidence that a light amount of household dust or other particulate matter in air ducts poses any risk to your health.”
Still, there are situations where you should consider having your air ducts cleaned. These are mostly the result of the presence of mold or mildew, heavy dust from home construction projects and other large issues within a home.
Your Air Ducts May Need Cleaning If:
- Ducts are clogged with excessive amounts of dust and debris and/or particles are actually released into the home from your supply registers.
- Your A/C filters have not been replaced regularly. This causes clogs, dirt and bacteria to build up in your air ducts. Dampness flows into the supply duct, turns into bacteria and eventually can grow into mold. We have seen all of the above when we send our cameras into residential and commercial air ducts.
- If your home is 30 years or older, you must call on an HVAC pro to inspect your ducts. airmasters.net
Older ducts are not as energy efficient as the new products, and by now, have likely developed leaks from brittle tape and cracks. If you need a replacement, this is a healthy, cost- effective and energy- efficient investment that will pay for itself in short time.
- If you see dirt particles coming out of your vents and landing on your floor, sheets, counters or furniture, this is evidence of an air duct problem.
- If you have rodents in your attic, they can chew into ductwork and infest the area inside ( we have seen this)
- Individuals with sensitive respiratory systems or serious allergies should consider having air ducts cleaned more frequently to reduce dust and dirt buildup before it becomes excessive. Homes with multiple pets will increase the amount of dust, dirt, and hair inside the vents, requiring the ducts to be cleaned more frequently.
- If your home has recently been through a construction project
- If you’ve never had an air duct cleaning, we advise, it is good practice to have your duct work cleaned every 5-7 years.
You can trust Air Masters of Tampa Bay to clean, repair or replace your ductwork for long-term, positive results.
Keep in mind, this is the air you and your family breathes.
With our affordable, annual maintenance plans, you are protected from any substantial
A/C repair costs or headaches.
After all, peace of mind is priceless.